Transfer Students

Welcome! Please keep the following in mind if you are considering transferring to the K-State Art Department. It is highly advised to speak to the Art Department Student Advisor to discuss your plans and previous or planned coursework.

  • The BFA degrees require a Portfolio Review by the Faculty.
  • The Portfolio Review only takes place in the Spring Semester.
  • Transfer students may apply to be accepted into Visual Communication Design or Studio Art degree programs if they have taken the equivalent of our 4 foundation-level courses: ART180 2D Design, ART190 Drawing I, ART200 3D Design, and ART330 Digital Techniques. Transfer students without these foundation courses or the equivalent will need to take them first before going through the Portfolio Review process. Transfer students may apply for a waiver of Art 298 - Portfolio Review through submission of all project work from each of the each of the equivalent foundation courses . This process happens only in the Spring semester for admittance into the program the following Fall. A portfolio of all work from each equivalent class should be submitted as a single PDF file to the Art Department. Please contact the Art Department Student Advisor for further information and deadlines.
  • The BA degree does not require the Portfolio Review.
  • The Visual Communication Design BFA is a 3-year sequential curriculum after Portfolio Review. Students seeking advanced standing may have their work evaluated by submitting a portfolio of all relevant advanced Visual Communication Design coursework and syllabi. Before taking advanced classes at a community college, it is highly advised to speak to the Art Advisor.
  • Studio Art transfer courses that do not appear on the automatic transfer equivalency website need to be assessed by the Department of Art faculty to determine whether or not they can be substituted for one of the required courses in the major.
    • Items needed for this review include a C or higher grade in the course, a syllabus, and visual examples of all the projects completed. The Area Coordinator for the course that you want to be waived will review your materials to determine whether the work you completed corresponds to our K-State courses in the Department of Art.
    • Students who do not have all the materials requested may not be given equivalent credit for major area coursework.
    • Work completed at a different university or community college should be kept by the student. This work may be requested at the time of Portfolio Review.
  • Art History courses may be evaluated simply by submitting the syllabus to the Art Advisor who will pass it on to be reviewed by the Art History faculty.
  • K-State Architecture, Interior Design, and Fashion Design Students who wish to transfer to the BFA program will have their Core courses evaluated by the Area Coordinator in charge of the Department of Art degree program they wish to join.